Author Topic: A different perspective on business cards  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
A different perspective on business cards
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »
Have you ever received a business card?  Very likely so.  Have you ever received tons of business cards?  Equally so.  So....what do you do with them?  Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the onslaught of sudden business cards that I get overwhelmed with the sheer volume of piles of cards.  Many DJ's are organized to the point that they scan them in, use an OCR program that organizes them, blah blah blah.  Me?  I'm just not that organized, nor do I truly take the time needed to keep them, track them, and mostly organize them.  

Sorry if you personally gave me your card.

Most of the time I come across cards and wonder what the story was behind how I got it and who it is and then what to do with it.

Do you think that your clients go through the same thing?  Most likely they do.  Surely you don't want your card to end up as a some sort of ortho-cleaning device.

Now, there are some fun creative ideas for distributing your card in a unique, and hopefully memorable way.  One way thing that I often do, that many others do, is during a scavenger hunt at an event, one of the items to find is a business card.  But not just find it.....they have to exchange a card for a card.  So, you pass your card to your contestants and they have to rush into the audience and exchange the card with someone else and come back with a different card.

Great idea, but not that effective.  First, it only gets 8 or so cards out.  But there are 200 people in the audience!

Now, here is a crazy idea that will get your information into many hands electronically.

First the history behind the idea:

Our National Sales Director is at a trade show whereby many of the exhibitors have a bar code on their products that people can 'zap' with their smart phones.  The smart phone sees the bar code and converts it into regular text.  The text can be whatever you want it to be.  Perhaps a sale price, promotion, email, web address, phone number, personal message or all the above.  Since people are rushing through the exhibit area to gather as much info as possible to take home or review on the plane home, the digital concept is very novel.  Once Rob explained to me what was going on at this convention with so many folks scanning bar codes for future reference, I looked into what it would take to make it.  Within minutes I made a bar code online with this message:  

Make Trivia Fun!  Contact DigiGames: http://www.DigiGames.com  Rob Johnson at 1-701-710-1657 or call our call center at 1-888-874-8427.

Here is what the bar code looks like:

I emailed it to Rob, he zapped it with his smart phone and confirmed the accuracy of the resultant bar code.  Go ahead and try it.

A free app to read the code can be found here:  http://reader.kaywa.com/

So, why not put a bar code on all your wireless buzzers?  It only takes minutes to do.  A simple message "Make your next event FUN with trivia.  Call (ME) at xxx-xxx-xxxxx or visit my site  at www.xxxxxxx.com."

Here is how you do it (very complicated procedure):

1.  Go to http://qrcode.kaywa.com/
2.  Type in your message and click "Generate".
3.  Print out the bar code and apply it to each of your buzzers.

That's it!  Easy Peasy.

Now, no one will be able to resist what the bar code says.  They are going to scan it, and just like that you have your personal information on their phone.

Minutes to setup.....free to do.  You just HAVE to love those kinds of solutions.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:14:36 PM by Thomas Dorsher »