Author Topic: "Final Jeopardy" (Final Question) style with Trivia Board 4  (Read 9315 times)

Offline F.King

"Final Jeopardy" (Final Question) style with Trivia Board 4
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
So... I held my first "Jeopardy" style game this past Tuesday... it was a HIT! I did have a hang-up though with the process of the game that maybe someone can help me with...

I purchased dry-erase boards from the Dollar Store... they cam with black markers that have a little eraser on the top of them... well worth $1 a piece. Okay, I passed these out with the game controllers... during the FINAL QUESTION portion of the game... I had the contestants write their wager... I walked around and recorded them... then their answer... and I walked around and recorded them... then I entered them into the system and showed the answer.

It worked well... but it just seemed like to took too much time. Any suggestions?

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
Re: "Final Jeopardy" (Final Question) style with Trivia Board 4
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »
I generally skip the final question.  I am anxious to get new contestants and start a new game.  My games are very fast paced and the final question slows things down too much for me.

Offline F.King

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »
Okay, so heres how I do it now... seems to work better... Since no one likes calling out their wager because it allows the other contestants to plan their wagers to win...

Remember now, this is for a "Weekly LIVE game show" at a bar...

I pass out buzzers and dry-erase boards to all contestants (or teams) in exchange for a drivers license (making sure I get the buzzers back!).

1. I do 4 rounds of Jeopardy Style Questions followed by a Final Jeopardy style question.

On the FINAL JEOPARDY Style questions I...

a. in the ANSWER field on the trivia sets, I have the category and answer, for example - "CATEGORY: MOVIES ----- ANSWER: MARLON BRANDO"
b. I read off the category and have everyone write their wagers on the dry-erase boards.
c. on my dry-erase board, I have the number of contestants written (1 - 10)
d. I record the wagers of those contestants that are at a positive score and able to participate in FINAL JEOPARDY.
e. I put those into the software and reveal the question.
f. When the wait music ends, I announce "Turn over your boards please"
g. I put a check next to the contestant numbers and wagers that got the question correct.
h. I put the Y or N into the software.
i. I reveal the answer and the winner of that round.

It works great and everyone gets a kick out of hiding their answers and wagers.

2. I do a 5th round that has the winners of each of the 4 previous rounds. Could be 2, 3 or 4 players. (If there is 1 winner who sweeps the 4 rounds, there is no 5th round.)

Offline thirdeye

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »
I generally skip the final question.  I am anxious to get new contestants and start a new game.  My games are very fast paced and the final question slows things down too much for me.

I agree Tom, I've been dropping the final question when time/crowd warrants it.  There have also been times when I want to get rid of the wager questions during the game.  I know that you could buy a plug-in to eliminate them.  With the new software creation company will we be able to do this?  Again, what is the time frame we can expect these software changes?  Never cared for the originals and always felt they were not doing your systems judgement.

Mike

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
Hi Mike.  I have seen the new TB5 program.  It is quite amazing.  Although they are a month overdue, they are incorporating a myriad of suggestions that have poured in ever since I announce the redevelopment of the software.  I guess they would have been done or close to done now, but there have been some incredible concepts that, well, basically if the idea was going to be developed in, it needed to be now before the software was bolted up.

Updates coming soon, and thanks for asking!

Offline F.King

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 07:53:54 AM »
I guess if I were hosting a game at a party or somewhere as part of my mobile DJ business I would definitely skip the final questions to move the games along and keep everyone playing... but in the bar environment, on a weekly basis, making it more like an actual game show seems to be the ticket! Everyone loves it and it's the only one like it in the city... even for the people who just come out and watch!

So I guess it depends on the venue, definitely.

Offline thirdeye

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:49:15 AM »
Hi Mike.  I have seen the new TB5 program.  It is quite amazing.  Although they are a month overdue, they are incorporating a myriad of suggestions that have poured in ever since I announce the redevelopment of the software.  I guess they would have been done or close to done now, but there have been some incredible concepts that, well, basically if the idea was going to be developed in, it needed to be now before the software was bolted up.

Better to do it right the "first time" than wait to hear the complaints and go back to the drawing board over and over.  Looking forward to seeing it.

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »

Better to do it right the "first time" than wait to hear the complaints and go back to the drawing board over and over.  Looking forward to seeing it.

Mike, that would be great, but meanwhile back on earth here - no software development company has ever done that.  It just isn't possible, not even for Microsoft and their vast billions of dollars and thousands of university geniuses.

Offline Zakolyte

• That Game Show Guy!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
I am going to agree with F.King on this one.  I wish the software mimicked the actual game a little more.

I did something very similar with the Dry Wipe boards.  I bought these "in trays" from the dollar store...then i use a 3 ring binder with 2 the Dry Wipe panels attached.

The contestant writes the answer on the first panel and the wager on the second.  The InTray helps protect the answer from the others players.

Next They flip the shortened ring binder board upside down.  When it is time all the players flip the dry wipes and the wager amount shows first.  I record them.  Then they all flip over the answer. and I enter in the Y or N for the answer and the system records the scores.

This works nice and it is literally a Flip as the Dry Wipes are on 3 ring binders.

Again I wish the system could more closely mimic the game show.

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »
Ugh!  I'm not going to keep addressing the same issues, and I really don't want to address it again for fear that this actually opens the door for someone to respond, but for the sake of a one-last-time response:  We have gotten as close as we can legally get.  Any closer and we get shut down...at that point no one wins!     :)

Offline Zakolyte

• That Game Show Guy!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 06:28:01 PM »
Got it...I'm dense this week...

Sorry...the whole family has colds and I am at wits end and the forum is my release!

Sorry Tom!

No more I promise!

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 07:51:51 AM »
No worries at all sir!  My frustration mostly is in the 'what we can and cannot do'.  Sometimes we want to implement a new feature, but a brick wall prevents us.  It is a perpetually ongoing issue that brings us much frustration.  DANGED COPYRIGHTS!  One would think that the networks would be more concerned about their production than to worry about ours, but that's why attorneys are involved - to make the big bucks saying NO!  hahaha