Author Topic: How I secured a recent booking  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
How I secured a recent booking
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:41:09 AM »
Yesterday I received a call from an individual looking for a quote for a 65th class reunion (didn't know they went up that high!).  All he needed was 3 hours of music from the 40's and 50's to play in the background while the guests socialized (no room for dance floor apparently).  Since it was on a night that I was almost completely booked up, I couldn't offer him much of a deal, so I quoted him $650. 

You might say, 'only $650??'  Well, the way I see it is that he or someone in his family already has a boom box, and a few CD's from that era would only cost him $20 at best.  It wasn’t like he was seeking an entertainer….he was looking for a specific line up of tunes.  So to play music for 3 hours and stand by idly simply cueing up songs is a bit of a no-brainer.

He was definitely reluctant to book.  In fact I could most certainly tell he wouldn't.

Discerning that, I decided to kick into a small bit of negotiating.  I told him that I would add to the event some wireless buzzers and trivia questions from that era at no additional cost.  I also mentioned that I would secure some donated drink tickets from the bar for the winners.  He loved it and booked me on the spot.  Note:  The bar may not donate the tickets, but that is irrelevant.  There will be tickets one way or another.

So, did I make nothing because I had a game show system and didn't upsell the additional service?  Or did I make $650 because I had a game show system and secured the event accordingly?  Tough to know that, but I do know I secured a very simple event for decent money, and I will for sure have fun performing this one!

This could raise an interesting topic – When to upsell, when to upgrade.

Offline jrtunes

Re: How I secured a recent booking
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:02:45 AM »
Here, here!  I have booked shows much like this.  I try to up-sell when possible, but I also offer to donate 30 minutes of trivia often to get the client to commit that same day.  This has been very successful for me.