Author Topic: Marketing to Senior centers  (Read 5591 times)

Offline Gneri

Marketing to Senior centers
« on: March 30, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
I want to do a marketing blitz to the local senior centers.  Everyone I talk to in the industry seems to think it is a great idea.  How do you market to them?  Who is typically in charge of the entertainment budget and makes the decisions.. How do you reach them and close the deal?  Can you share any market specific brochures you may be using?

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
Re: Marketing to Senior centers
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 05:28:21 AM »
I don't know of any specific brochures or other marketing materials aimed that this industry type.  Simply use your current brochure and slant the theme to 'Remember When.....'.  Then go here for nostalgic trivia:  http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/history/nostalgia.html

Keep the questions fun for the seniors and focus on 'remember when' type questions.  Here is what will set you apart from someone simply making money: Talk about a few of the answers.  Get personal with the older folks by drawing them out.  For instance, if there is a question on Frank Sinatra then talk about him for a few moments.  Ask all the people there if they remember this or that about Sinatra and so forth.  You don't need to do that on every question, but just a few along the way is your golden ticket for repeat business there.

Selling your service is easy for many entertainers.  Just like any other trivia event you do, you are there to create a fun environment and possibly team building (group seniors together to solve questions).  Now we simply add to that reminiscing and 'keeping their minds sharp'.  You will want to use those types of phrases when talking with the faculty of the senior home.

Also, keep in mind that the payoff for performing at senior homes is not always in money.  Many charge to do events at retirement homes and make good money, and of course you have to eat!  Think of the payoff from other angles other than money.  The payoff could be that a relative of a grandma/grandpa is there visiting and sees you perform and hires you for their corporate, wedding, graduation or other events.  It could be that the retirement home sees you perform and then hires you at full price for other special events.  Or it could be that you bring someone to tears - overwhelmed with happiness that you are there and that you care for them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:29:54 PM by Thomas Dorsher »

Offline Zakolyte

• That Game Show Guy!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
Yuppers!  Tom hit it bang on the head!

THere is a saying that says, "When an old person dies, A library is lost!"

They know much about the past and will absolutely eat up all questions about;
Tommy Dorsy, Charlie Chaplain, Al Capone, THe movie Casablanca, Carey Grant etc...Lucille Ball, Bob Hope...

And I assure you, it will rewarding for you as well.  It is VERY nice to give back to the community in that respect!

I applaud you!

ZAK

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
Thanks Zak.  I love your point "When an old person dies, A library is lost!"  It gave me chills!

Another thing to consider when doing retirement home events is that it doesn't always have to be about the points, as in "who won and who lost".  Pretend you are performing for children.  Do you want to tell a young child they lost?  There are many approaches to this, but it may be important to change up your format a bit.

Offline Gneri

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
All great points!  Thanks for the input.  ;D

Offline Zakolyte

• That Game Show Guy!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 01:35:50 PM »
Here are something I always say when contestants are playing for no prizes...

Winner gets to Clean-up!

THe Lucky winner gets to help me carry my Equipment back to my car!

Winner get's a partly used bottle of High Karate After Shave!

Winner get's to brag about how smart they are until the player wins!  And if that next player is you, you get to tell yourself all about it!