Author Topic: Icebreakers: Fact or Crap  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
Icebreakers: Fact or Crap
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »
A very excellent icebreaker that I use to get a trivia show started for corporate events is to perform a round of Fact or Crap.

For about $20 you can buy the game at any Walmart, and it includes roughly a thousand cards with various statements on them.

The setup:  Review a batch of cards in advance.  Find statements that lend to comedic banter that do not contain long words.  You will find that 1 in 5 statements on the cards will lend to just that.  I make a note with a pen which statements on the cards I am going to use, since there are 3 statements per card, and you need to identify the one or ones you will use.  Then, at your event, you announce that you will kick things off with a round of Fact or Crap and that you need a single-file line of about 10-15 contestants.  Since audience members are coming up as a group, people aren't apprehensive about coming up alone.  Within 20-30 seconds, you will have the needed amount of contestants.

The rules:  You will read the statement to the person at the front of the line.  They respond with "Fact" if they think that the statement is accurate, or they will respond with "Crap" if they think that it is not true.  If they answer correctly they go to the back of the line.  If they answer incorrectly, they sit back down at their table.  Repeat the process until you have a final winner.

Again, it is important to find statements that lend to comedic value.  For example:  "Adolph Hitler entered into the academy of fine arts in Vienna".  The contestant usually responds with "Fact", which is a correct answer.  Then I say, "Ok, so before he was a psychopathic killer, he was painting soft cute bunnies, birdies and little puppy dogs?"  Audience laughs, and the contestant generally sticks to the answer.  It is also fun to do a preamble question like "What do you know about the European Green Woodpecker?"  Audience and contestant laughs, then proceed to the unusual question.

I am convinced that this is a must-have for any corporate event, and for a small $20 investment it is truly worth the effort.

Has anyone performed this game, or something similar?

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
Re: Icebreakers: Fact or Crap
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 10:26:39 AM »
A great variation of the above that I learned from Scott Faver, is to have the contestant who answers incorrectly go out to the audience and tap someone on the shoulder.  The tapped person then has to take the place of the eliminated contestant and no one in the audience can be tapped twice.  In this variation, the elimination process doesn't apply, but it truly allows for way more participants in the game, most of whom were reluctant to participate initially.  When Scott's questions have been used up, Scott randomly selects 5 contestants who then engage in a scavenger hunt or other physical challenge type game to determine one final winner.

Offline Thomas Dorsher

• Administrator
    • DigiGames, Inc.
Re: Icebreakers: Fact or Crap
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:10:55 AM »
Here is a little enhancement to the icebreaker:

Throw some pun statements in with the Fact or Crap game.  I print out the statements below and tape them to Fact or Crap cards that I wont be using.  Then, I randomize them throughout the deck of cards that I will be using.  I read the pun statement....get a roar of laughter from the contestant and audience, then I state, "wait a minute...that wasn't the one I wanted to use....here is the REAL statement".  Here are some examples:

When two fish swim into a concrete wall one turns to the other and says 'Dam!'

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, so they lit a fire in the craft. Unsurprisingly it sank, proving once again that you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

If you are sentenced to death by guillotine, your spouse gets severance pay.

If a moose has indigestion he will take an elkaseltzer.

Dutch shoes used to be made in a factory machine, until it got clogged up.

A joint venture is when 2 people go into business to grow marijuana together.

Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now.

A hole has been found in the nudist camp wall. The police are looking into it.

Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Two hydrogen atoms meet. One says, 'I've lost my electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first replies, 'Yes, I'm positive.'

A Buddhist who refuses Novocain during a root canal has the goal to transcend dental .

Never lie to an x-ray technician. They can see right through you.
Soon after Sir Lancelot moved to Egypt he opened his very successful Used Camel Lot.

If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.

These and many more can be found at:  http://www.punoftheday.com/cgi-bin/disppuns.pl?ord=F&cat=0&sub=0&page=1